sabato 13 agosto 2011

Last days in the Mainland

I just got back yesterday evening into HK after taking a taxi, two flights, a bus, a train, and another taxi, although that's much easier than most of my students who have at least 24 hours, some 40, and even 3 and 1/2 straight days on several trains for one...no, he has no sleeper car because it's too expensive.
I just thought I would send some final comments about my experiences in China before I head to Vietnam to be with Charlie, Quy, and Isabella, especially since now I'm out of the Mainland, so I feel like I can write freely without "Big Brother" looking over my shoulder.
This past weekend we went way out into the countryside to go rafting with the English (Chinese) teachers down a rather dirty river that started out with two dead chickens floating in it and continued with people along the shore washing their rags and tattered clothes. It was a good time and a good opportunity to learn from some of the teachers about religion in China and how much people are interested in it along with other things about their education system. They claim that marxism is not really accepted by any of the Chinese even though it is drilled into them from an early age, but then one of the teachers went on to say that, if everyone really practiced it, they would have a much better society. Most of the time, however, she talked about how important she thinks religion is and asks a lot of detailed questions about who we are and what we believe. Later, in one of my classes, when the word "scape-goat" came up, and I explained that the scapegoat in traditional Jewish practices was the animal that would take on all of the blame and sins of the people, she asked if Jesus would then be considered a "scapegoat" for us, which was another reminder that we are not just teaching english!


Sunday I went to Mass at one of the two churches in Jilin for their one morning Mass, which was packed full and stifling hot (no fans or windows open), but nevertheless inspiring to see. I actually wasn't sure at first if I would go again since I went the previous evening, but, for various reasons, I decided to go, which I certainly don't regret now. After Mass I met a girl who studies at Beiot university, which is also in Jilin, and who wanted to meet with me and talk to me (it certainly wasn't difficult for her to spot the only foreigner there and one of the only people under the age of 50, which is a result of the Chinese cultural revolution). She seemed almost desperate to talk to another Christian her age and especially to someone at least fairly knowledgeable (I hope) about the faith. She explained that her conversion came through the mere example of another Christian who taught her English, which, as you can imagine, made me think about our presence here. I tried to make sure to wait for her to bring up certain things about the faith and to ask questions, which we are supposed to do before saying anything regarding the religious realm, but it is certainly something very difficult for me, especially when she seemed so clearly to be hungry to know more. We went to Fr. Brian's apmt and then out to eat with some of the other students that had gathered there to hang out with the other guys. Afterwards, while expressing her sadness and difficulties in trying to maintain a relationship with her former English teacher, she matter-of-factly added that, in addition to the distance and governmental restrictions regarding a possible future for them, it also makes it difficult that she has been a member of the communist party since high school. As you can imagine, our conversation quickly died although she may not have understood why. I immediately started to regret having so quickly invited her to Mass and to Fr. Brian's whenever she would like to come, along with letting my guard down at certain times about the faith. I even considered the possibility that she might be a sort of spy using me to check on Fr. Brian's work. However, it now turns out that Fr. Brian was not at all surprised by this and that this is a normal status thing and that some of my students would also be party members.  In fact, our students knew that there would likely be other government-friendly students and that they thus could not express their views in an open manner without the possibility of being reported.
This past week we switched hotels from the "VIP", which was dubbed as such because one of the students was sure we were VIP even though the water randomly shut off and the pillows were sandbags. They moved us after a night of a harsh odor of paint in which the other guys apparently walked across campus to stay at Fr. Brian's even though there were not really enough beds there. Unaware of these happenings, myself and one other guy had a nice sound sleep at the hotel and were surprised to hear that we would be moving that day for the sake of our own well-being. 
More to come about the last day of the summer program, and hopefully pictures to accompany these posts.

God bless,
Joe

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento